Animal Care... Wound Care
Basic Bandage Instructions
- Clean wound by scrubbing with dilute Nolvasan or betadine. For hydrotherapy and to further cleanse the wound, apply cold hose for 10-15 minutes daily.
- Dry area well.
- Apply disinfectant cream or solution as directed by the veterinarian.
- Apply Nonstick Telfa pad of appropriate size to cover the entire wound.
- Apply absorbent layer (if needed) using a combine pad, diaper, or other recommended material.
- Next, apply Gauze wrap. Completely cover the pad with gauze overlapping by 50% each wrap around the leg.
- Apply vetwrap to help keep layers tight and formed to the leg. Note: vetwrap constricts. Keep this in mind when wrapping vetwrap around the leg. It is easy to get this layer too tight.
- Apply Elasticon at the top and bottom of bandage in order to hold the bandage to the hair and prevent slipping of the bandage.
- Apply support wrap if necessary. This may need to be incorporated into the bandage.
- If you are unfamiliar with equine wound care or have questions about bandaging, please ask a Red Oak staff member. They will be more than happy to demonstrate the process for you.